Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Soft Heart and the Love of God

So this has really been on my mind a lot lately, this concept of the soft heart and how to soften the heart. I am surprised at how hard mine is sometimes and how quickly it hardens at times. I realize that it is a leftover process that is no longer useful, but once served a preserving and protective purpose. Now though, it is getting in the way and it's function is no longer necessary at least not in the same way.

A soft heart is essential to receive good things, feel good feelings, think good thoughts, feel love, and give love.

At the same time I recognize this, the softening of my heart is much easier said than done. Not only is it like old crusty leather that is beyond repair, but whenever I peel away those hard shell layers to get to the softness underneath, it is raw and bleeding under there still. I'm not sure it is ready for the cover to come off yet. I fear my heart will bleed out before anything could stop its seeping or even gushing at times. I feel like not only do I have to soften my heart but heal its hemophilia and heal the raw wounds that should have already healed long ago, all at the same time. And that is hard.

I started a new book recently, seeking some answers for this process of heart softening, and this stuck out to me:
What is it that pries open a hardened heart? What enlarges and softens the most shriveled of human souls? What is the most desirable, the most delicious, the most joyous above all to the soul? That's easy to answer: It's being flooded with God's love, being awash with His profound acceptance and glory, being encircled and comforted and healed and set free to go and do!"

That is true. When I feel awash with God's love is when I feel motivated and empowered. It is amazing.

"When filled with God’s love, we can do and see and understand things that we could not otherwise do or see or understand. Filled with His love, we can endure pain, quell fear, forgive freely, avoid contention, renew strength, and bless and help others in ways surprising even to us."
Elder John H. Groberg

I hope for all people that they feel the love of God like that, in that Lehi-partaking-of-the-fruit kind of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment