Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Theme

I have a friend who recently described to me that each year she creates a theme for herself. This is something I would like to try this year. I personally think that New Year's resolutions are a bit over rated as they usually run out of steam almost as fast as they are decided upon. I'm all for setting goals, so it isn't that, but I'm also realistic when it comes to goal setting, and I think goals should be SMART.
Its funny because a lot of things that I, and people in general, want to achieve aren't usually something that follows the above pattern. Usually it is Measurable and Time-Bound that kick things out, but that is the beauty of a theme. A theme can be a foundation behind some of the goals I set for myself this year. A theme can actually encompass those immeasurable and timeless things like having greater charity, learning to love, learning to forgive, being more kind, etc.

Picking a theme took careful thought. What do I want to focus on for a whole year? And what is something I can have enough stamina for through the course of a whole year. I want to be more grateful, I want to learn from my mistakes and stop repeating them, I want to get married, I want to have a family, I want to do something meaningful and important, I want to matter to people in my everyday life, I want to be good, I want to feel the love of my Heavenly Father and my Savior, I want to be happy. How do you put all that in a theme?

After careful thought, reading through several talks, some studies on gratitude, heart, and strength, and reviewing some of the mutual themes and activities for those themes, my heart settled on Psalm 27:14:
"Wait on the Lord: Be of good courage and he shall strengthen thine heart: Wait, I say, on the Lord.
 
I plan on doing a lot with this theme. And you are invited to read and complete suggested activities throughout the year. Better yet, come up with a personal theme for yourself and focus on it for a whole year!

No comments:

Post a Comment